We welcome all opportunities for you to be involved at SJB.
(Depending on COVID-19 restrictions)
We welcome all opportunities for you to be involved at SJB. Building partnerships with your child’s school can help your child to settle in and actually supports their learning because the important people in their lives are working together to achieve the same goals.
School Board –The school board meets approximately twice per term. This consists of the school principal, parish priest, staff representative & parents who have been nominated and elected to the board.
Parents and Friends Association – The Parents and Friends Association aims to assist the school in practical ways.This is open to all parents. The committee meets monthly and dates are advertised in the newsletter.
Classroom helper program – You are invited to help in your child’s classroom throughout the year. It is expected that you attend a workshop early in 2022 in order to participate in this program.
What it means to be a classroom helper?
- To adhere to child safety standards at all times
- Redirect students and help them to stay on task
- Work with individual/small groups of children
- Provide a role model for learning
- Encourage students to work quietly
- Demonstrate, model and help on set tasks
- Privacy of both parents and children must be respected at all times
If you have a concern, discuss it with the teacher or Parent Liaison Officer Marc Guzzardi email@example.com
- 20 minute student support session – This program operates in term 2 & 3 only. The parent will work with a student at 3:00pm once a week for 20 minutes to assist with reading/writing/mathematics.
- Walking School Bus – The Walking School Bus involves a group of children who walk to school accompanied by two trained volunteers. The children will meet at the corner of Moushall Avenue & Shaw Street every Wednesday morning at 8:30am.
- Classroom Parent Representatives – Two parents per class volunteer to act as ‘organisers’ for that class eg. social events, class collections for special presents,etc.
- Buddy Families for new families – Existing families within the school act as a ‘buddy’ family to support new families at SJB
- Working Bees – Held once or twice per year (depending on the scope of the works)
- Classroom excursions
- School assemblies (weekly)
- Open classroom mornings (held once per term)
- Parish involvement
- Athletics and swimming carnival
Working With Children Check
Under the Working with Children Act 2005, all parent helpers are required to have a current Working With Children Check. Applications should be made online at http://www.workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au/